Tuesday, June 9, 2009

On self-promotion and unfair accusations

I warn you: This posting is going to be a lot less interesting for those not following NYMag’s Daily Intel than for those who do. (If you don’t, bookmark it already, it’s one of my favorite web pages and a great source to rage, annoyance, snark, sarcasm, intelligent observations and other fun. But you don’t need to read the rest of THIS posting if you haven’t followed Intel for a while. You may not get it.)

I am a web wise woman, and I know there are even more idiots online than offline. The invisibility cloak of the former allows idiocy free reigns. That’s a good thing and a bad thing, I think. It allows for good, honest debate on stuff one wouldn’t or couldn’t have discussed under full name & real life identity, and for bad, too-honest-to-stick-to-case debate spewing shit at the same time.

I am, too, fully aware that mine is the Alpha type of personality, and that some people dislike me intensely and others like me as intensely. Offline and online, same goes. I’m good with that, too, a decade or more has gone since I gave up the idea everyone has to like everyone. Part of growing up. As long as you accept people to be different than yourself and still as valuable as yourself, you don’t need to like a single person to be a goody'ol'heart in my book. I do in general find people awakening sympathies and antipathies a lot more interesting company than those awakening just indifference, though.

But still. STILL. Sometimes, some people can make me so raging mad their idiocy stick with me for hours, and as that’s the case right now, I JUST HAVE TO SAY THIS TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST. It’s been bothering me since before I got to sleep, it bothered me through those three holy uneasy hours I did sleep, and it’s been bothering me since I gave up sleeping and started working at half past five. (To FG77: Don’t flatter yourself on your ability to throw me off balance. Everything throws me off balance these days and this is my average sleep pattern for the time being.)

To the rest of you: You see, there was this one comment. It was going very personal, without even bothering to do the slightest research on who I am or what I stand for. And that provoked the hell out of me. It’s not as if I am at my normal balanced self to begin with.

Let me take this point by point:
*I am a self-promoting narcissist. Ok, I accept that one. Sometimes get that in real life too. It goes with that type A personality, and though I do normally try to put on the breaks and stay away from dominating every single conversation I am in, I have long realized breaks are broken for now.
*I am banal, a drain and yawn-inducing. Ok. I accept that one too, even wish it to be true. I’d like a yawn, not to stay as hyperactively maniac as I am right now forever. Would be SO nice to go tired SOMETIMES and anyone who can learn me a trick to help me go to sleep: I'll be forever grateful!
*I am not a sexual creature. Hahaha. That one I enjoyed. Just one thing to add: FG77, I don’t know if you’re a man or a woman, but either way, I can guarantee you that you will never see my sexual self close up. I don’t do judgmental idiots. I don’t do people I see as in the middle of a middle age crisis, and I especially do not do people having middle age crisises while I suspect them still to be in their teens. Woman's got certain principles.
*In addition to being a non-sexual creature, I am an old, fat, sad, male Las Vegas whore. Ok. Tip on improving your insults: They work better if you try sticking to a certain continuity and to hit where it hurts. One of these may have done the trick. All of them? Nope.
*And, and this is what I think is the worst part of it: I have a need for acceptance from RANDOM STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET. This, ladies and gentlemen, I think is what really makes me mad.

First of all: I do not want your acceptance, I want your honest opinions. I don’t really want to ask my real life friends what they think on me having had sex with 16 persons in the span of a month, but I do trust the NYMaggers to be honest in their opinions. Opinions matter. Your own opinions matter the most, but it's always the opinions from others that take you further.

Second: I don’t consider the regular commenters on the Daily Intel board to be ”random strangers”. To a person having registered two minutes ago, I guess you are. To me, most of you are the coolest, wisest, smartest smart-ass bunch there is. You’re all true New Yorkers, even those of you never having lived in the City. (Yes, Till and Rebecca, and Cheesesteak, if you still live in Philly, I am talking to you.) You, and (most of the rest of) the regulars are distinct voices with distinct opinions and distinct platforms from which to speak. I value your points of view, I value them so much I consider you all among my best friends never met. Rebecca Rose – I wholeheartedly love you, and I think your blog should be a preinstalled bookmark in Internet Explorer settings at all computers & Macs sold in the world (http://www.rebeccarose2004.blogspot.com/). Hedgie – your blog has given me lots of fun (http://www.646hedonist.blogspot.com/). Meow: You’re hilariously funny and have often made my day. LZA, you’re my married hero, proof it’s possible. Loobs: Yeah, same goes for you. Sternman, GayNarcissus, Cheesesteak, Seamus, Till, TheLessYouKnow, Bulging Bracket, NYAaron, you’re all great guys, and if I ever suspect our paths to be crossing in real life, beers are on me. That's a promise. Smug: I almost never agree with you, but I find arguing with you great fun. Spice to everyday life. We all need that, those of us leading crazy everyday lives as much as those who don’t. (And to anyone I should have mentioned, but forgot about: Sorry about that, head’s not altogether gathered.)

Rant over. I may have lost all my readers at this point, but I do feel like self again, so in my opinion, writing this was totally worth it. I just want to add one more thing before posting this, probably for my own pleasure only. (This is MY blog, I am ALLOWED TO DO THAT.)

My ability to feel pain and my ability to feel pleasure may annoy or confuse people without the same emotional capabilities. From time to time, even people I dearly love and I know love me dearly back can ask me to chill it and please calm down. But I am who I am, and I think if there is ANYTHING following the Sex Diaries on Daily Intel has taught me, it is that not all living people are truly alive. Lots of people, even among those considering themselves to be happy, are not true to themselves. I am. I have my share of bad habits & annoying sides, but I am 100 % alive, and I am honest. And for that, I am incredibly grateful my life is mine, even when I feel at my most insane.

Life is short. Live it.

7 comments:

  1. Obviously. Why can't you discuss this with your friends? Judgemental types? Nothing wrong with sleeping with 16 (50, 100 or 2 or none) people in a month.

    I've been lurking on NY mag. former NYer.

    -NSK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought FG77's attempted takedown was hilarious, because: 1) I thought you deserved to be called out for commandeering the comments with all the self promotion and haranguing of the SD editors to print yours *immediately* 2) Because it was so hilariously off base in its accusation of who you really are. 3) Because, despite its ridiculousness, it seems like it got to you, which surprised me. I would have guessed that you'd laugh it off for its absurdity and continue on your slutty (total compliment!) way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NSK/Nina: May be flattering myself here, but I don't want to be locally famous as NYC's "real life Samantha Jones". I consider myself more than JUST a sexual being. Friends are loving, caring people who all <3 gossip, and the circle is WIDE. Besides: Those knowing (some of) my secrets are already worried about me, I don't want them to worry more. And a good thing about discussing with people you don't know or hardly know is that they can bring new points to the table. My close friends' POVs I already know.

    Fatty: Thanks for that: You're funny too. And yeah, I got mad. In retrospect, I can laugh some of it off. But you know, I think I was entitled to be provoked. Yeah, I was exuberantly off topic. But I didn't deserve ALL the shit I got for it. Considering the discussion over the board these last few weeks, I was not at all outside of context. Lots of our fellow posters have urged me to submitting my SD, repeatedly. I wanted to let them know where to find it, and shunning me in such an abusive way as FG & company did, I still do not find the least fun. I can take abuse. Default reaction: "Go fuck yourself, you sure as hell won't be fucking me! Crash-boom-bang.". Plenty of people in my kind of situation feel their depression going deeper than mine does. (The way I see it, I am right now sadder than I've ever been, acting insane, but I am not really insane, because I know why I am reacting like I do. V. v. fine nuance.)

    The kind of language used about me in some of the comments this week could have been a tipping point for those REALLY losing themselves. And how should FG77 & friends know I was not suicidal, in addition to not sleeping, bitching for nothing, crying for nothing, going mad for nothing, being unable to concentrate, mourning the love of my life? No way could they know, and their style of debating could very well have made a more vulnerable person lose it.

    I didn't think principally on this while writing my F YOU blogpost yesterday, but I guess the principle was buzzing around in my head there somewhere, after all, and that this is part of why I got SO mad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a bit too late to the party, so I guess no real point to comment on this, but I was just curious why did you say "if you still live in Philly?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cheesesteak: I've always believed you to be a Philadelphian, with that screen name. Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right, I did choose the screen name because of Philly, but it's not really clear cut. If you want, let me know and I'll explain over email.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always like to hear good stories: ladyinred.blogspot@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete